- What is a Mommy Makeover Surgery?
- Things To Know About Mommy Makeover Surgery
- What Else Should You Know Before You Have a Mommy Makeover Surgery?
Because mothers are often bombarded with celebrity pictures that show women with slender bodies just a few months after giving birth, they often think they need to look just as thin.
As a result, there has been a higher demand for “mommy makeovers,” a series of procedures that promise to help women achieve the perfect body after giving birth. However, the media has spread various misconceptions about these plastic surgeries.
Below, we discuss ten things you need to know about a mommy makeover surgery.
What is a Mommy Makeover Surgery?
A mommy makeover is a surgery that involves the renewal and restoration of the skin around the tummy and breasts. The goal of this procedure is to try to reverse the physical changes that women encounter after pregnancy.
These changes are usually a deflation and sagging of the breasts, as well as bulging and stretch marks on the abdomen.
While the surgeries provide promising results, there are a few things you need to consider before going under the knife. Everything you need to know about a mommy makeover is broken down into these two sections:
Things To Know About Mommy Makeover Surgery
1. Unsure that you’re done having kids? Don’t schedule your mommy makeover yet
If you feel that you will still want to have more kids in the future, you may want to hold off on your surgery. Another pregnancy and birth will undo all the results from your mommy makeover and will leave you right where you started.
2. When you do decide to have a mommy makeover, you will need to undergo a mommy makeover preparation, and you must reach the weight you want to be for life.
While exercising and eating right will help you quickly recover from your surgery, you don’t want to be too thin after getting the procedure. It’s best to reach a weight that you can confidently maintain.
3. Know that some seasons will be better for mommy makeovers than others.
Before getting your surgery, be sure that it’s during a time when someone in the family can help out with your children. Choose a time when your spouse, siblings, or parents can help out to ensure that you will get enough time to recover post-op.
4. It’s best to plan a few weeks of recovery time.
While some patients feel fine and no longer experience pain and discomfort after their first week, others need about seven to ten days to be able to walk around and do basic actions like driving. To be up and running at 100% after your surgery, you may need to wait as long as one month to get back to your usual routine.
5. Mommy makeovers will usually take various procedures to perform and will vary from one woman to the next.
The typical pattern that a surgeon will follow includes:
- Tummy tightening
- Breast lift
- Combination of procedures
Depending on the patient’s goals, they may also add other procedures such as liposuction to get rid of fat and achieve the way they looked before having kids and breastfeeding.
6. Thankfully, mommy makeovers aren’t as painful as you might think, thanks to a drug called Exparel which is used to provide relief from post-op discomfort.
Exparel works as a numbing agent that can help you get through pain for as long as three days. According to a study, patients who used Exparel only needed one-third of the number of pain pills compared to those who didn’t use it.
7. Depending on the patient, the surgery itself can last anywhere from four to six hours.
Depending on your recovery, you may not have to wait long before going home. These procedures are also done on an outpatient basis, so you’ll be able to go home once you’re done.
8. Always schedule a consultation with your plastic surgeon before getting your makeover.
This will ensure that you are both on the same page about what your goals are, and will also give them the chance to set your expectations about the results and recovery time. Moreover, they will want to check that you’re healthy before undergoing the procedure.
9. You might or might not need drains after the procedure, which is a downside to getting a tummy tuck.
Many have skipped out on such procedures because patients find their removal uncomfortable and it is a hassle to empty them. But whether or not you’ll need it will depend on your surgeon’s preferences and techniques.
10. Tummy makeovers may be able to remove an existing scar from a C-section, replacing it with a shorter and smaller scar.
Many patients will have scars as a result of previous procedures on the abdomen, but depending on the operation you choose, you may be able to remove or hide them. Tummy tuck procedures will usually involve creating an incision below the original C-section scar, thus permanently overriding it.
What Else Should You Know Before You Have a Mommy Makeover Surgery?
Apart from the guidelines above, here are a few other considerations to think about if you’re set on having a makeover surgery.
- After getting a tummy tuck as part of your mommy makeover, some numbness may last for months or even as long as years, but there’s no need to panic as this is a normal part of the healing process.
- Walking, even just around your house, may be difficult at first, but you need to mindfully move around during the first few days to promote proper blood flow and circulation. It may be helpful to purchase a walker since your mobility will be limited.
- The shape and position of your breasts may change, so don’t stress if you find that you don’t like how they turned out during the early stages. Breast implants will sit high on the chest at first, but they will settle into place after getting massages and wearing breast bands.
The decision to get a mommy makeover surgery shouldn’t be taken lightly. It’s best to first talk to your doctor about the risks involved, as well as the benefits you can expect.
While many patients are happy with the results of their procedures, they too, took the time to learn about it as much as possible.
It’s up to you to make sure that a mommy makeover is right for you, so you can come out of the experience knowing you did the right thing for yourself and no one else.
To learn more about Sadeghi Plastic Surgery, visit our website or call us today at 504-517-0022.