En Bloc Capsulectomy
There are a number of personal or medical reasons a patient who has breast implants may want to have them removed. Whatever the motivation may be, Dr. Ali Sadeghi is here to help. He knows you have options when it comes to picking a plastic surgeon in the New Orleans and Metairie, Louisiana areas, but if you’re looking for an experienced double board-certified plastic surgeon and reconstructive microsurgeon, call the Sadeghi Center for Plastic Surgery and book a consultation.
What Is an En Bloc Capsulectomy?
An en bloc capsulectomy is a procedure that removes breast implants as well as the scar tissue, also known as the capsule, that has formed around the implant over time. During an en bloc capsulectomy, the implant remains within the capsule and is removed as one piece. This is to minimize any rupturing of the implant or to deal with medical complications that have to do with capsular contracture, which is the hardening of the scar tissue around the implant. This procedure is not considered cosmetic surgery.
Why Have an En Bloc Capsulectomy?
If you’d like to change the way you look, or are tired of your implants, you may want to consider an en bloc capsulectomy as your explant procedure. Other reasons may include:
- Not satisfied with the appearance of your breast
- An implant that has shifted, ruptured, or deflated
- Medical complications that may arise from the implant or the capsule
Additionally, if you’re considering removing your breast implants, removing the tissue along with the implant can be quite beneficial for a patient’s en bloc capsulectomy recovery. The procedure has been performed successfully at our New Orleans location many times and helps to ensure that women can feel the natural shape of their breasts once again.
What Can It Improve?
There are numerous benefits of opting for an en bloc capsulectomy such as:
- Should medical complications arise from breast implants such as an implant rupture, a leaking implant, or breast implant illness (BII), this procedure can help ensure you safely get back to the way you want to look and feel
- You want to feel your natural breasts again
- You want to feel more comfortable in your bras
- You can participate in strenuous activities without feeling discomfort
Types of Capsulectomy Procedures
An en bloc capsulectomy is one type of explant procedure that works to remove the implant and capsule as one entity without causing any contamination to other parts of the body. This procedure allows the silicone to stay within the tissue, therefore completely disallowing it to leak or cause any health complications. Other procedures include:
- Breast Implant Capsulectomy: A capsulectomy is surgery that removes part of the scar tissue when a patient is suffering from capsular contracture. In some patients, the tissue that forms around the implant can become dense and hard, which can cause the capsule to squeeze the implant. This condition can cause chronic pain as well as cause the breast to look misshapen.
- Total Capsulectomy: A total capsulectomy removes the implant, capsule, and all scar tissue that has formed around the implant along the lungs and the ribs. During a total capsulectomy, a surgeon will first remove the implant and then remove all of the tissue.
- Capsulotomy: A capsulotomy is a procedure that can be invasive or non-invasive. Both procedures however deal with capsule contracture and discomfort or complications caused by the contracture.
- During an open capsulotomy, the capsule is partially or completely removed after a surgical incision is made.
- A closed capsulotomy is performed by applying manual compression on the breast, with no incision made, to break up the tissue while leaving the implant in place. This procedure, however, does come with the risk of rupturing your breast implants.
- Explant Without Capsulectomy: If a patient is interested in non-surgical or non-invasive options, you can look into an ultrasound that can soften the capsule tissue with soundwaves and increase the blood flow and supply to the area around the implant.
After the breast explant procedure, a patient may have issues with sagging skin. It is the patient’s choice to replace the implants, surgically remove the excess skin or get a breast lift. One can even have fat grafted to replace the implant to make the breast look and feel whole.
Plan your procedure
|Average Cost:||$3,000 – $5,000|
|Recovery Time:||~ 6 weeks|
|Average Procedure Time:||1 – 2 hours|
Almost every explant surgery is an outpatient procedure that takes around two to three hours. A patient is given general anesthesia before an incision is made, most likely where the previous incision was made when getting breast implants, to get to the capsule. The implant and capsule are separated from the tissue around it and removed en bloc. Once this has been done successfully, the incision will be closed and the patient will be placed in a compression garment and bandages. Drains will be placed to prevent any fluid accumulation and to stop another capsule from forming.
Some discomfort is normal after surgery and can be alleviated with medication prescribed by your surgeon. A patient may experience some swelling which can take up to four weeks post-surgery to heal. Daily activity can resume such as eating, walking, showering, etc., a day after surgery. While everyone’s recovery time is different, most patients recover anywhere between a week to ten days. However, if you have a strenuous job versus a desk job, you will want to consult with your surgeon about when it is appropriate to go back to work. If you’re in the New Orleans area and are curious about any aspect of this surgery, your surgeon can help you better understand your body, health, and recovery time.
As is with every major invasive surgery, you will have a scar, but it should fade with time. The incision made to remove the implant and capsule will usually be made where the previous incision was made when getting your breast implants, so there should be no other marks than that. It is always good to remember that everyone is different and that scarring may take longer to fade in some patients.
Why Doctor Nola
Doctor Ali Sadeghi, also known as Doctor Nola, is a microsurgeon whose specialty is reconstructive breast surgery and cosmetic plastic surgery in New Orleans. He is a double board-certified plastic surgeon with over 20 years of experience. Dr. Sadeghi has undertaken thousands of surgeries and is considered an expert in reconstructive breast surgery. He is patient and welcoming and has introduced cutting-edge surgical technology and techniques into his practice to help his patients achieve the beautiful results they deserve.
En Bloc Capsulectomy FAQ
What are the en bloc capsulectomy risks?
There are minimal risks with the surgery compared to leaving a problematic capsule or implant in place. Removing the tissue along with the implant can help quicken the healing process.
How should I prepare for surgery?
Before the surgery, a patient should stop smoking cigarettes and drinking alcohol, both of which can contribute to an increased risk of swelling and bruising. Medications and supplements should also be stopped two weeks before surgery. On the day of your procedure, you will be unable to drive yourself home, so securing a ride for the day of your procedure is important.
What is my recovery time?
While every patient is different, recovery can take anywhere from a week to ten days. Chest and breast swelling is normal, and can take up to four weeks to go down. Pain medication can be prescribed by your surgeon.
Will I have a scar?
With most invasive surgeries, scarring is inevitable. While every patient is different, scarring should fade with time.
What are en bloc capsulectomy costs?
Costs are dependent on many factors as each surgery and each patient’s requirements are different. Your surgeon can draw up an individual treatment for you such as what will happen pre-surgery, post-surgery, and during surgery.
Schedule a Consultation
See what our clients are saying
“Great staff!! So caring! Dr. Sadgehi is amazing! He took such good care of me! I am EXTREMELY satisfied with the results of my surgery! 100% recommend him if you wanna have any work done! You won’t be disappointed!!”
“Dr. Sadeghi is leading the industry with cutting edge technology. The staff is very friendly and knowledgeable. EM-Sculpt is what I use, just before a photo shoot or that weekend beach trip. If you haven’t been to see Ali yet and are looking to just feel better in your own skin, then get over there!”
“Dr. Sadeghi and his staff are THE BEST! They are very sweet and welcoming. Dr. Sadeghi gave me exactly what I asked for with fillers. Great experience and will definitely be back!”
“Excellent doctor, answered all of my questions and concerns. The staff was very caring and informative. They explained everything in details and what I could expect after surgery. I highly recommend Dr. Sadeghi. Excellent surgent.”
Call us for free help
Have a Question?